June 18, 2012

I was born on Father's Day.....

.....and so I have always loved hearing my daddy say that I was the best Father's Day present that he ever received.  Somehow in my childhood mind, that translated into "I am a little more special, loved, and bonded to my daddy", which is totally not true, but for a narcissistic child, it's a nice thought.....
Regardless, the few years that my birthday has landed on Father's Day again, we have enjoyed a big celebration together.  When I was seventeen we probably had upwards of 100 people over for Father's Day/my birthday and roasted an entire pig to feed the masses on our front lawn in the sunshine.  This year, we opted to invite about half that many people and enjoy some of the most delicious smoked ribs I've ever had.  Oh, yum! 
It's fun sharing a holiday with my dad, because he really is the best dad:

~ a "Chatty Cathy", if you will, my dad will never let more than a few days go by without talking to all his kids to see how they're doing and will listen to all the deep thoughts, problems, triumphs that we have to share

~ he is a great example of a missionary and loves to share the gospel with anyone and everyone

~ his awesome daddy-ness has translated into even more awesome grandpa-ness.  Is it possible that he loves his grandkids more than his own children!?  If it's been more than a few days since he's seen Kenners and Baby Lila, he stops by our hosue on his way home from work to get his "fix" :)

~ He has some serious quirks.  For example, have you ever heard of the high school basketball phenomenon Jabari Parker?  My dad has a man crush on him and has probably started counting the days until he becomes a collegiate player (hopefully for BYU).       

I love you, Daddy!  Thanks for sharing your special day with me, but most importantly, thanks for being such a great and fun dad.  I am one blessed girl to have had a supportive, loving father raise me and I can't begin to imagine what my life would have been like without your influence in my life.
 It's been so much fun to live so close to you again.  With mom and the girls gone to Girls' Camp this week, be sure to stop by and see us!


1 comment:

Melissa Baker said...

Happy fathers day to the Daddy Mr.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...