January 4, 2011

Similarities and Differences

When I first found out I was pregnant, I remember dreading the morning sickness but being consoled by many people who told me that maybe I wouldn't get sick this time, because every pregnancy is so different.  Well, there have been some differences with this pregnancy, but unfortunately, the morning sickness has not been one of them.  However, it has been interesting to note the small differences that I have experienced....

*I still have an aversion to most foods and smells, but the smell that seems to drive me nuts the most for some reason this pregnancy, is the smell of butter or pam or any other oil melting and cooking on a stove top.  Totally ick!

*While I have had to take a few trips to the hospital to get some yummy IV fluids, it has been less because of dehydration (like when I was pregnant with Kenners) and more because of low blood pressure. 

*I didn't feel a good kick with Kenners until 20 weeks and Garrett couldn't feel any of her kicks until weeks later.  I started feeling flutters last week, and last night (at 17 weeks pregnant) I couldn't believe the activity of this little squirt!  Even Garrett could feel the little kicks.  It was crazy!  And for some reason, it feels more bizarre and surreal this time than when I was pregnant with Kenners!?  Somehow it still seems weird to me that I'm actually pregnant.....

*I have felt A LOT of gratitude at the miracle of a (at least so far) healthy pregnancy this time around.  With Kenadie it was all just new and exciting and whatever.  This time, I'm just in awe at what a blessing it is to get to be a mom again.


*I think I'm more forgetful this pregnancy.  Unless I'm just forgetting how forgetful I was back then....

*I am way more emotional this time around. Serious mood swings and crying over the most ridiculous things.

*As I'm sure is typical with most second pregnancies, I have started to "show" much sooner than I did with Kenners.  I don't think I looked this pregnant with Kenners until I was 25 weeks pregnant at least. (I suppose I should start to take some photographic evidence of this soon.....)

*I had raging heartburn with Kenners from 20 weeks on.  This time, the heartburn started at 6 weeks, subsided a few weeks ago, and seems to be revving up again....

*I've lost more weight this pregnancy, but thanks to the effectiveness of acupuncture, I've been able to start eating a lot more recently, so maybe I'll end up gaining more weight in the end!?

*I feel much more anticipation at finding out the sex of the baby this time.  Garrett and I felt pretty confident last time that Kenadie was going to be a girl so we weren't really surprised when we saw her in all her glory at my 20 week ultrasound.  This time I have no "inkling" of what this baby might be and would be happy with either, but Garrett is reeeeeeally wanting a boy and says we will keep having babies until we get a boy......so seeing as I no longer think my body can handle having eight, maybe it would be nice to have a little boy this time!?  We'll find out in a little over 2 weeks..... :)

*I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other little differences (because forgetting is just what I do these days), but I hope to be able to add to the list that this time I won't get cankles!  Wishful thinking?  Maybe.  But I don't think wearing flip flops to work are going to fly with my boss, so I'd like to be able to wear my shoes for my whole pregnancy.......

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...