January 21, 2010

Sew Excited

Once upon a time, I desired to learn to sew. I had once "learned" in 8th grade home economics when I made a gym bag, and then again when I was 17 I made a bunch of the world's simplest quilts to donate to foster children, but now I really want to learn. I want to follow in Nicole and Adrienne's (talented sisters-in-law) footsteps by becoming a sewing and crafting fool. I also feel like a disgrace to the Oberg name for NOT having developed these skills and talents already. Yikes!
Garrett and I had a rinky-dinky sewing machine that broke whenever you touched it, so we got rid of it. I would love a new (or at least functioning) sewing machine, but alas, a sturdy sewing machine is not cheap.
So I posted this on Facebook the other day: "I want a sewing machine.....I really, really want a sewing machine."
Within an hour, my awesome, sweet, amazing, considerate friend, Kristin, called me up and said, "I have a sewing machine that I'll give you!"
Sa-weet!
It is a 1969-1972 Sears Kenmore model sewing machine that has only been used a handful of times because it somehow got lost in her grandmother's barn until recently being rustled up.
Kristin says it still works great!
So how could I pass up such a sweet offer!? Talk about good fortune!
Check this beauty out!
It weighs about 50 pounds, a good sign of a sturdy sewing machine.
No whistles. No bells. But it does button holes and zig zag stitch.
All a girl like me could really want or need.
Check out my sweet owner's manual.

Too bad I didn't live in the 70s, eh?
Sew....I am SUPER excited!
Kristin is like a fairy godmother or something.
And I can finally start sewing and crafting.
I'm particularly excited to turn good-will-worthy "junk" into cute awesomeness.
My only disclaimer: remember my limited experience. Gym bags and 8 piece "quilts" don't qualify me for seamstress of the year. Be nice when I post my creations; they may look a little scary at first.....
Let the sewing begin!

3 comments:

~Crystal~ said...

How exciting!!! I just recently got a sewing machine too, and I have to agree that they older ones are much sturdier, and seem to last longer. Mine's newer and made with plastic and I think those older ones were probably made of steel! Can't wait to see what you create!

Jenny Willardson said...

You may have limited experience, but you have FAR more than me! Indeed, my goal after I graduate this year is to learn to sew, because I have ZERO skills! I'm beginning my quest to craftiness -- what else am I going to do all day at home anyways?!?!

Looking forward to seeing your creations!

Claire Christensen said...

I can't wait to see all the fun stuff you'll sew! I use to have a 1970's sewing machine but I wore it out. I am so jealous especially of your owners manuel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...