November 21, 2008

Zofran, Ripped Abs, and Weight Loss, Oh my!

So what do zofran, ripped abs, and weight loss all have in common? Well, at least for me, they all sum up to one thing: pRegNanCY.

Yes, pregnancy! After having a yucky miscarriage this last summer, I was pretty adamant to wait to reveal the news this time around until after the first trimester. I didn't think that this would be a problem. I didn't feel too horrible my last pregnancy, and I was at least functioning decently well up until about a week ago (at about six weeks into the pregnancy). But now, I can't even fake feeling well over the phone anymore. Everyone kept asking, "Are you okay? You don't sound too good." So it's time to come clean: no, I'm not feeling okay, but it's because I'm pregnant! yay!

Now, I have to say that I am very excited to be able to get pregnant, so I know that this will all be worth it in the end to have a little baby. However, I never anticipated getting this sick. Morning sickness?!? Yeah, you're lucky if it's just in the morning! I am sick ALL THE TIME. I can't even drink a glass of the water without throwing it up. And unfortunately for me, I can't get a prescription for some Zofran (magical nausea medicine) until some medical insurance kicks in! Right now I'm trying to ration off what my sister Katie has left over from the beginning of her current pregnancy. I took half a pill yesterday in the afternoon, which is the only reason I was able to keep down some chicken broth and crackers. Yay for Zofran!

As far as a ripped abs go: this may disgust some people. When you throw up for an hour straight, it is the best ab workout you've ever had! My stomach is so sore, and my husband swears that my abs are a lot more chisled! I'm just trying to look on the bright side.....

And the weight loss: from the time of my appointment with my OBGYN last Friday, until I went back on Tuesday for the unrelenting vomoting, I had lost five pounds. I'm sure that I've lost even more since then. The thing is, I don't need to lose any weight, so the weight loss really isn't making me look any more attractive, and even my sister and husband say I'm looking a little waif-ish. (I don't think I've been this thin since being a freshman in high school-and that was my ugly year.) My doctor actually told me to forget about food for the week and just try to stay hydrated because I'm heading down the path of needing to go to the hospital to get an IV. So, because even water is nauseating to me (I'm serious), I've been trying to sip Propel to stay hydrated.

I used to think that women who had "such a hard time" with pregnancy needed to buck up, but after experiencing this, I take it back! You women are amazing! I can REALLY sympathize with Katie and Tara Raleigh now, poor things! And I have to publicly say how wonderful my sister is because she has been a lifesaver, bringing me Propel, jello, and letting me borrow a bunch of DVDs. Can she possibly know how much I appreciate her? Thanks, Katie!

So there is the news! VERY excited to be expecting a little baby in the middle of July. I just can't believe it's taking so much out of me.....so can anyone else out there besides Katie and Tara sympathize? Does anyone have any advice on what foods are less nauseating or have any tricks for keeping food down? I've tried the crackers-in-the-morning thing, but I throw those up right away. Help! I'm very open to any ideas anyone has before I blow away........

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Holly!! I sure hope you get feeling better soon...or at least get some more Zofran soon...dang insurance issues!? What a pain! If I hear any more horror stories like yours, I may never have kids...too risky!! :) jk!! I'm sure it'll all be worth it...and the ripped abs are definitely a nice perk! :)

Talia said...

Woooooohoooooooo!!!! I am soooo happy!!! :) I do have to mention that us Christensens need to calm down in the month of October!! Haha! This will be grand-baby #5 in the month of July!! Not to mention NIcole and Kinau's b-days! I totally wanted to get pregnant too, but refused to have another July baby myself! Give Garrett a big hug and congrats for us!

Nicole said...

Holly... you are s funny! I love reading your posts!
I am so so excited for you to have a baby!! You are gonna be such a great mom!! xoxo

Rachel said...

Congtrats Holly! I'm really happy for you! How long ago was your miscarriage? I'm glad you were able to get pregnant again. I am sure it was really heart-wrenching to go through the emotional and physical stress of a miscarriage. You are amazing. Hang in there. And I hope the Zofran works! (Sorry, I can't give any advice yet...wish I could help ya there!)

Adrienne said...

Yeah, I agree with Talia, we Christensen's need to be on some sort of tranquilizers or something in October! On the wonderful upside of having a particularily frisky month, your bundle of joy will be apart of the big birthday bash when we finally start our own family reunions, hopefully in July!
Did you try those preggie pops Nicole told you about? Warm watered down apple juice helpped me a little, but then again I GAINED weight not lost it, maybe that was the trick. :)
Don't blow away! Love Adee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...