I am a wuss when it comes to spicy food...
....which is pretty ironic considering I have spent 1/3 of my life living in Mexico.....but whatever.
Garrett, on the other hand, is obsessed with spicy food.
He has tried several times to get me to love the sensation of having my taste buds singed off with hot peppers, but it hasn't worked very well.
His last attempt was a few years ago when we went to an authentic little taco shop and ordered some carne asada tacos.
They came with jalapenos on the side.
Garrett munched on his and then exclaimed, "Hey, these are really good and they really aren't that hot! You should try yours!"
We were newlyweds at the time, so I was in the trusting, "I-would-follow-you-off-a-cliff" stage of our marriage.
I took a huge bite of the jalapeno
and the next 20 minutes were excruciating.
I was sweating, my nose was running, and the only thing close at hand to drink was Coke (which only intensified the burning).
Garrett thought I was being a wimp and took a bite of my jalapeno just to prove it.
Within a few seconds, his eyes were watering as well and his nose was running,
but he still said it was a good jalapeno.
I don't get it!?
Anyhow, since that day: no more jalapenos for me!!
Until a few days ago.....
....we had no plans for the 4th of July and it felt lame
because last year we didn't celebrate the 4th either due to celebrating coming home from the hospital with Little Miss.
So, in an attempt to do something 4th-of-Julyish
Garrett decided to make jalapeno poppers while I made hamburgers
using Costco hamburger patties that had been sitting in our freezer for, oh, probably 6 months.
They were the nastiest burgers ever.
Made McDonalds seem gourmet.
And I was starving!!
In my hungry desperation, I devoured 3 or 4 of Garrett's jalapeno poppers, and holy moly were they good!
So good that the spicy burn and subsequent clearing of my sinuses couldn't keep me from eating them!
So, if you like the heat (or even if you're a wimp like me and think that you don't),
give these little babies a try at your next barbecue.
Garrett's Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
8 large jalapenos
4 oz softened cream cheese
2 cloves fresh, minced garlic
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
8 strips bacon
1. Cut jalapenos nearly in half lengthwise and de-seed (or don't, if you're a masochist). I highly suggest wearing gloves while handling the jalapenos to keep them from burning your skin. Trust me, Garrett knows....
2. Blend garlic, cream cheese, and mozzarella together to make a cheesy filling for the 'penos.
3. Stuff jalapenos full of cheese filling.
4. Close jalapenos and seal tightly by wrapping tightly with bacon and securing bacon in place with toothpicks.
5. Cook over grill (or bake at 400 degrees in oven) until jalapenos becomes soft and tender on the outside.
6. Enjoy, and keep some milk (not Coke) readily available just in case....