September 14, 2009

Diagnosis #2: Reflux (aka Heartburn!)

I've been trying to tough out and deal with Kenadie's screaming and sleeplessness, thinking to myself, "I guess this is just how colicky babies are: they cry and scream ALL the time and NEVER sleep!" Well, in the past week, I've had 6+ mothers (all who have had babies with colic) come up to me and tell me that Kenadie's screaming and sleep deprivation is way worse than a colicky baby's and that I need to take her to see the doctor. She's obviously in a lot of pain, and there is no rhyme or reason to her crying. She just screams bloody murder day and night!

So I finally made an appointment to see the pediatrician and planned to BEG for some solution to my poor baby's crying (I had a pretty good idea that she was having some reflux or heartburn). It took the doctor just entering the exam room, looking at Kenadie's beet red face, and hearing her screaming to say, "Oh, Kenadie is in some serious pain!" She agreed that with all of her symptoms, she is having some bad reflux. Poor little baby! I had some major heartburn towards the end of my pregnancy, and that was just at night so I can only imagine how Kenadie has been suffering!

The Dr. wrote Kenadie a prescription for Zantac, so now we wait 4-5 days until we see the full effect of the medicine to see if it will work! Please, please, please Zantac: work!
Hopefully we will have a happy baby girl here within a week!

6 comments:

Claire Christensen said...

Yea, I hope so for everyones sake. I'll be anxiously waiting to hear how she is doing in a week

Rachel said...

Dang. I'm sorry you've had such a rough time. My little 1 month old niece also just got started on Zantac for heartburn/reflux. I wonder if this is really common for new babies?

Unknown said...

Oh, poor little Kenadie! I really hope the Zantac works...for her sake and yours!! You're a saint!! Let us know how it goes!

Kristen said...

It probably helps to know that at least you are trying something else! It has to bring some hope. I'm sorry Holly, it is SO hard to have a little one that is crying all the time. I really hope this is a solution. Hang in there!

The Wilson Family said...

Oh man, just hurts my heart to hear how sad she has been and she's not even mine :o( I hope the Zantac works!!! You're such a good mommy Holly!

Dr. S said...

So did it work?? I finally took Brayden in for just about the same symptoms, and they told us it was acid reflux too! Zantac worked WONDERS! Hope it did for Kenadie too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...